Sunday, April 8, 2012

Blog Post #10

Connected


DO YOU TEACH OR DO YOU EDUCATE?

According to the Wikipedia, to teach means to simply show, or explain to someone how to do something. In my own words, to teach means to show or demonstrate to someone various skills, and techniques, necessary for general understanding, however, not application. On the other hand, Wikipedia defines what it means to educate. To educate means, to present, or implement intellectual, moral, and social instruction to someone. On my scale, educating someone is far better, than teaching someone. As for me, I am remarkably passionate. As a future educator, I want to make a (positive) distinctive mark on my student's lives. I will certainly educate, rather than teach. In my opinion, teaching is just not enough! Our kids deserve to have instructors that are devoted. Devoted or loyal teachers are the ones who integrate lessons appropriately, especially with tangible situations. Practical examples enhance student's character. This is exactly why I want to become an elementary school teacher, because I want to catch as many little angels as possible, and demonstrate what a true educator (caring) feels , looks, and acts like. For instance,I would definitely not do this...upon entering the class, I ask my students to sit down, and I have "busy work" available on their desks, as well as no engaging activities. I just basically teach (meaningless) facts that I discuss all day. Can you say boring? In reality, I not only visualize, but I know my class will be conducted in this manner: first, I would began class everyday with a different warm up activity to get their bodies loose, and brains awake and working. Secondly, I want them to feel comfortable, so I would've prepared an educational game of around the world to get to know my students. After the first day, they would begin to tell me what they have learned the day before (writing or speaking out loud). I will also observe each student through out the day, so I'll understand what needs to be reiterated, or elaborated on (strengths/weakness). My class will not be predictable, or routine... every facet will be thoroughly thought of, and creatively established for productive learning. My two most favorite quotes from, Do You Teach or Do You Educate is...
"Intelligence plus character...that is the goal of true education"~MLK and...
"Education for the kindling of a flame not the filling of a vessel"~Socrates.

pencil


Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home

I honestly understand why Allison Kirby (summer2010) recommended this staggering post, "Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home!". The general goal of educators should be to train our kids according to Blooms Taxonomy (evaluation, synthesis, analysis, application, comprehension, and knowledge). Nevertheless, some teachers actually try to manipulate their environment with false data. These heinous teachers reflect Ms. Gertrude character, perfectly. "Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencil's Home!", reveals the basic good teacher (Mr.Johnson) vs. bad teacher (Ms. Gertrude) comparison, in the sophisticated dialogue. Mr. Johnson basically dodged a confrontational argument with Ms.Gertrude. He does this with a very cool, and savvy demeanor. However, Ms. Gertrude tried her hardest to spark up the quarrel about what she read in a journal...if, students take home pencils, they have lower standardized test scores. This is completely illogical,yet Mr. Johnson comes to grip and calmly confront Ms. Gertrude, by applying a little reverse psychology. He literally altered the conversation...
"Let me finish. Schools in low-income areas often have students who come in with a mentality that pencils are to be used for entertainment. Their parents don't use pencils in their factory jobs and don't have experience using pencils in schools. Because the poor are often marginalized, clever marketers tailor pencil use in poor areas toward entertainment. So, they come into my class thinking, 'Cool, this is a toy.' But we can change the paradigm."
In essence, Mr. Johnson resolved the circumstance by addressing the solution, instead of the problem, like a scientist would. Mr. Johnson utilized the scientific method: he asked a question, incorporated background, he constructed a hypothesis, test the experiment, analyzed the results, and then shared them with Ms Gertrude, GENIUS!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kristi,

    I enjoyed your post and loved how you said you wouldn't make your classes routine and that you would introduce new ways to engage your students on a daily basis. I think the idea of having them do warm up activities is a great idea, especially in the morning when children are sleepy. I also liked your view on the "Don't let them take the pencils home" assignment. He did dodge a bullet and picked his arguments very well and delivered his message in a very clear and authoritative manner to get his point across. Keep up the good work and good luck on the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you understand that Johnson's (Spencer's) commentary was an extended metaphor or allegory in which pencils were computers? It doesn't seem to me that you correctly interpreted what was written metaphorically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Strange,
    I guess I did miss understand the entire post,however i wasn't quite aware till now. I will read the post again, and write it over. After reading the comments, I started to substitute pencils, for computers but i just wasn't sure...
    Thanks,
    Kristi Jackson

    ReplyDelete