Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog Post #9

Teacher


(May 27, 2009) What I've Learned This Year (2008-09) by Joe McClung are pointers that I will utilize as I go in to my first year of teaching. Mr. McClung's experiences will definitely foster me in my teaching career. For example, Mr. McClung wrote about topics, in particular, which I feel that are all essential. At the Teacher's Desk, the main focus is to get the reader to understand just how critical it is to bring positive energy around students. I also learned from this topic, in order to become experienced, it will be extremely time-consuming. The paragraph, How to Read the Crowd is very important,as well. To know your audience will make it easier to relate and teach successfully. Mr. McClung reminds us to not have the lesson centered around us,teachers, but rather the students. He made a wise suggestion that I will hold on to,"Let the audience drive the instructor". It takes common sense to want your audience/students to be able to easily follow you, and can ask questions, to get caught up in case they miss interpret a section. The next paragraph explains how Mr. McClung had to learn how to be flexible through experience. He also elaborates on how there is no such thing as a perfect lesson plan. This simply mean that your audience will be different, and in essence you can never predict the time limit or sequence of events, perfectly. Your lesson plan is simply a guide, and not necessary to stress over, if there is mistakes. The most important concept to grasp as a teacher is to know how to improvise well, and know how to stay on track. In addition, Mr. McClung expresses his reactions on communication in his first year. He states, "communication is the hardest skill to develop". I actually agree with this quote because sometimes as a student, it is difficult to ask questions openly, first I'm extremely shy, secondly I don't want to interrupt, and lastly I attempt to ask well thought of questions. However, I have developed and evolved into a professional inquirer, because now I know how important it is to ask questions. The other topics discussed were quite significant as well, Don't Be Afraid of Technology, and Listen to your students. In summary, Mr. McClung's quest is definitely a learning experience that can help all teachers...in fact, I will incorporate some of his skills, and apply it in to my teaching. There were two comments that were especially distinctive. Threatt and Amanda's comments were inspirational. Amanda wrote Mr. McClung about the importance of adapting to your environment which was exceptional, considering what would happen that next year.

From 2009 to 2010 Mr. McClung posted, June 15, 2010 What I Learned This Year (2009-10). In 09' he describes that year as a success. Contrary, in the year 2010 he remained focused on his students, but he had many problems with the school administration. However, Mr. McClung did not let this distract him, in turn he adapted to his challenges. He also explained how he felt as though he step out of his comfort zone. My favorite quote, "Change makes you better". This is true! Facing difficult situations help you grow. Mr.McClung also elaborates on how to check your ego at the door. This simply means do what ever it takes to get your student's to learn (engaged)...that means if you have to act like a clown, don't be afraid of looking silly. The point is showing your students you are eager to teach, and learn, and you want them to be the same. Don't be a control freak, is another one of Mr.McClung's various topics. This paragraph is so critical,in my opinion, because no child can learn in a manipulating environment. I certainly learned a lot of pertinent information from Mr. McClung's posts, from year to year. In fact, his post motivated me to read more teachers' blogs,in general. I admire that he took his mistakes,turned them in to positive learning experiences, and shared them with the world.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Kristi! I think you have a great blog. It was very well written and very detailed. The only thing I would suggest is putting a clickable link to Mr.McClung's blog post. Keep up the great work!
    Jessica Scarpa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica,
      Thank you for reading my blog. I edited, and repost my blog #9 so it'll be easier to follow...I added links as you suggested.
      Thanks once again,
      Kristi L. Jackson

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This replaces a previous comment which was removed to correct two errors.

    "... if there is mistakes...." are not is

    "The most important concept, is that as a teacher you are able to improvise and stay on track, and accomplish the main goals." Remove both commas in this sentence.

    "Mr. McClung express his reactions..." expresses not express

    " it is difficult to ask question freely,..." questions not question

    "...think your "special"." you are or you're not your

    "...I have came out of my shell ..." have come not have came

    " I will take Mr. McClung quest and I will transition, and apply it in to my teaching experiences." I don't understand this sentence at all. I have tried to guess what you mean without success.

    "...There were two peoples comments..." people's not peoples but since you have two in front of people you should rewrite the entire sentence. Here is how I would do it: The comments of two people ... I don't think I would use stuck to me unless the comments were on fly paper. Maybe impressed me. Or that I remembered. perhaps the latter is what you mean.

    "Threatt and Amanda's comments was inspirational...." were not was.

    "...distract him, in turn he adapted to his challenges...." Start a new sentence after distract him

    "He also explained how he felt as though he step out of his comfort zone to teach at this jr. high school." Rewrite. Maybe this: Mr. McClung felt as if had stepped out of his comfort zone when he began teaching at this junior high school.

    I think I have suggested that you go to the Writing Lab. Did you go? Now I am making it a requirement that you go. Instructions will be sent in a separate email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dr. Strange! I revised my post, and made changes that you suggested. I have not made it to the lab, just yet, because I was a little under the weather last week. However, first thing Monday morning I will get the adequate help that I need, so I can be extremely successful in your class, and in general.
    Thanks for critiquing me, I really needed it,
    Kristi L. Jackson

    ReplyDelete